Wednesday, June 23, 2010

technology in my classroom

Everyday I try my best to incorporate technology in my classroom.
I find that it not only makes my job easier but also excites and motivates the students. It's like killing ltwo birds with one stone. Every morning, my students make the lunch count votes on the computer using Kidspiration. They click and drag their name under their lunch choice. They have fun doing it and it also shows me the names of students who are absent, without having to call attendance. I also find tons of images and videos using the internet - google is my go-to source for all the searching I do. For example, we recently wrapped up our butterfly unit (the highlight of the second grade curriculum). As an extension, we researched the lifecyle of other insects. My students suggested to study the lifecycle of a ladybug, mosquito, and praying mantis. So I went on Youtube and pulled up related videos and compared those we saw to that of a butterfly. I also use Google Translate often. This is such a great tool for family/school communication. Many of my students' parents speak a different language. Therefore, I translate notes or class newsletters to help them.
I'm looking forward to adding more to this list as I continue in the Technology for Educators Program and JHU.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica!
    I like that you use Kidspiration with your students and I too use Google Translate all the time. I have found that it is pretty accurate unlike other free translation websites and it takes large text documents. I like your blog.
    -CI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,

    I love the idea of using Kidspiration to do the lunch count. I've never thought of that. It's great how you can also use that as attendance. My students love the second grade butterfly unit too. I think it is great how you compared the life cycle of the butterfly to that of other insects using YouTube. Do you organize your links for the videos in a social bookmarking site?

    David

    ReplyDelete